Thursday, March 12, 2009

Steele Is Toast

If you are not up to date about Steele, it is kind of a joke. He's the newly elected chairman of the RNC. He was elected about 6 weeks ago and has done everything he can to stick his foot in his mouth.

First, he went after senate repubs saying he won't help them if they don't fall in line. Then, he went after Limbaugh and had to apologized two days later. He's also tried to seem "hip" with using hip hop jargon.

Now, in an interview with GQ that transpired back in february, he has really jumped ship on two of the biggest issues to repubs: Abortion and Homosexuality.

On abortion:

How much of your pro-life stance, for you, is informed not just by your Catholic faith but by the fact that you were adopted?
Oh, a lot. Absolutely. I see the power of life in that—I mean, and the power of choice! The thing to keep in mind about it… Uh, you know, I think as a country we get off on these misguided conversations that throw around terms that really misrepresent truth.

Explain that.
The choice issue cuts two ways. You can choose life, or you can choose abortion. You know, my mother chose life. So, you know, I think the power of the argument of choice boils down to stating a case for one or the other.


About Homosexuality

Do you think homosexuality is a choice?
Oh, no. I don’t think I’ve ever really subscribed to that view, that you can turn it on and off like a water tap. Um, you know, I think that there’s a whole lot that goes into the makeup of an individual that, uh, you just can’t simply say, oh, like, “Tomorrow morning I’m gonna stop being gay.” It’s like saying, “Tomorrow morning I’m gonna stop being black.”


So, basically the new RNC chairman says that women have a choice and gays are born the way they are. Steele could also have run for the DNC chair position that was vacated by Dean.