Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reasons Daschle Withdrew

What I find very interesting as I read more about Daschle's withdraw is that he really didn't have anyone up in arms about his taxes and ties to the health care industry. Usually, repubs go to any camera/journalist and scream about the ineptitude of whomever. 

Based on the fact that Daschle was most likely going to get confirmed, I have to ask myself why?Now, Daschle said he didn't want to be a "distraction". That is similar to when politicians state they are quiting politics to "spend more time with family." (Which makes me laugh. When shit goes down for politicians they somehow discover new family members they must be with.)

Obama's reason was he wanted to change Washington and couldn't have a double standard. I think that is great but I also think that the reason repubs aren't screaming foul is because I think the repubs are gathering up chits to use later. The "scratch my back" technique that is prominent in washington. 

When Obama was faced with this, I don't think he could take these "favor collecting" for the repubs so early in his presidency. He would rather sacrifice Daschle now in order to save something down the line where the repubs might have wanted to cash in those chits.

Just thoughts